Report 2017-032 Recommendation 27 Responses
Report 2017-032: Clery Act Requirements and Crime Reporting: Compliance Continues to Challenge California's Colleges and Universities (Release Date: May 2018)
Recommendation #27 To: University of California
To help prevent errors during the next Clery Act reporting cycle, UCOP should revise its Clery Act policy by August 2018 to include details on where institutions can find the specific disclosure requirements for their annual security reports.
60-Day Agency Response
In May 2018, UCOP updated the Clery Act Policy as follows:
- Added footnotes to the policy (Section II.B) to provide details on where to find specific disclosure requirements. The footnotes reference the Federal Regulations and the DOE Handbook for Campus Safety and Security Reporting.
- Updated Section II.E to refine further the general reporting obligations of Clery crimes.
- Added footnotes to the policy (Sections III. and IV.C) to reference specific California state laws.
- Updated the references links in Section VI and added an additional reference for California Assembly Bill 1433, Student Safety (Gatto Bill).
The updated policy can be found here: https://policy.ucop.edu/doc/1100669/Clery
- Completion Date: May 2018
- Response Date: July 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Fully Implemented
All Recommendations in 2017-032
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.