Report 2017-032 Recommendation 24 Responses
Report 2017-032: Clery Act Requirements and Crime Reporting: Compliance Continues to Challenge California's Colleges and Universities (Release Date: May 2018)
Recommendation #24 To: San Jose, California State University
To ensure that it includes all criminal incidents in its daily crime logs, San Jose State should by December 2018 create and follow appropriate procedures, such as requiring supervisor review of entries or programming its records management systems to create the daily crime logs automatically.
6-Month Agency Response
SJSU has completely removed the manual work that caused the errors observed by the auditor in the Daily Crime Log.
Our Daily Crime Log now no longer requires manually re-entering data as in the previous method. In other words, our Daily Crime Log is now generated straight from our Records Management System.
This strengthened procedure is now added to our Manual of Procedures for Clery Act reporting.
We are submitting a copy of the strengthened procedure via separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completion Date: September 2018
- Response Date: November 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Fully Implemented
60-Day Agency Response
- Partially implemented. San Jose State has removed the manual work that caused the errors in the Daily Crime Log. The Crime log is now fully automated and there is no manual re-entering of data as in the previous method. This Daily Crime Log is now generated directly from our Records Management System.
- No procedure has been written. It will be complete by Nov. 2018
- Estimated Completion Date: 11/30/2018
- Response Date: July 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Although San Jose State describes this recommendation as being partially implemented, it did not provide evidence to support its claim.
All Recommendations in 2017-032
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.