Report 2017-032 Recommendation 17 Responses
Report 2017-032: Clery Act Requirements and Crime Reporting: Compliance Continues to Challenge California's Colleges and Universities (Release Date: May 2018)
Recommendation #17 To: San Jose, California State University
To ensure that it does not overreport or misreport its crime statistics, San Josť State should develop and begin following procedures by August 2018 to review and adhere to applicable guidance related to the Clery Act, including the OPE handbook, when categorizing the Clery Act crimes it reports.
6-Month Agency Response
SJSU UPD has completed the written procedures to review our Clery reports prior to finalizing them, to ensure adherence to applicable guidance, and that there is no over-reporting or mis-reporting.
This strengthened procedure is now added to our Manual of Procedures for Clery Act reporting.
We are submitting a copy of the strengthened procedure via separate email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Completion Date: September 2018
- Response Date: November 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 6-Month Status: Fully Implemented
60-Day Agency Response
- Partially Implemented. San Jose State now reviews every report to include those generated by local law enforcement and any reports by Campus Security Authorities, Student Housing and Student Conduct. These reports are cross checked against the Records management system, and the current conduct system (Maxient), as well as the physical reports prepared by local law enforcement. The OPE handbook is referenced for accuracy against these reports. Back up documents are kept. Implemented June 2018
- Formal written documentation for this procedure is being prepared and is incomplete at this time. To be completed by Oct. 2018
- Estimated Completion Date: 10/30/2018
- Response Date: July 2018
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Although San Jose State describes additional review procedures that its staff now perform, it was unable to provide documentation to substantiate these efforts. Therefore, we are assessing the status of this recommendation as pending.
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.