2023-107 Audit Scope and Objectives
Riverside and San Bernardino Counties—Proposition 47
The audit by the California State Auditor will provide independently developed and verified information related to the effects of Proposition 47 in San Bernardino and Riverside counties. The audit's scope will include, but not be limited to, the following activities:
- Review and evaluate the laws, rules, and regulations significant to the audit objectives.
- Review available crime data specific to San Bernardino and Riverside counties for the period before and after the passage of Proposition 47 to identify any trends in applicable crime categories. To the extent possible, determine the effect that Proposition 47 had on rates of reported crime in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.
- At a selection of law enforcement agencies in San Bernardino and Riverside counties, assess the impacts of Proposition 47 by doing the following:
- To the extent possible, review trends of suspected crimes being reported to law enforcement before and after the passage of Proposition 47 and assess whether the Proposition has changed how often the public calls for assistance, or altered law enforcement's response.
- Identify public safety policy changes that resulted from the COVID-19 pandemic and, to the extent possible, determine whether those policy changes had an effect on the level of criminal activity.
- To the extent possible, for offenders from San Bernardino and Riverside counties, review available criminal history information to assess the rates of recidivism before and after Proposition 47 took effect.
- Review and assess any other issues that are significant to the audit.
California State Auditor's Office