Report 2016-139 Recommendation 11 Responses
Report 2016-139: California Department of Education: It Has Not Ensured That School Food Authorities Comply With the Federal Buy American Requirement (Release Date: July 2017)
Recommendation #11 To: Stockton Unified School District
To help ensure that they consistently comply with the Buy American requirement, Stockton should establish written policies and procedures related to the Buy American requirement by October 1, 2017. At a minimum, those policies and procedures should include the following:
- An explanation of how it will ensure that it consistently includes language related to the Buy American requirement in its bid solicitation documents and contracts.
- A minimum expectation for how regularly it will verify that food items its vendors provide are domestic commodities or products.
- A requirement that its staff identify the need to purchase foreign-sourced items as early as possible in the food purchasing process and that they begin documenting the justification for such exceptions to the Buy American requirement at that time.
- Guidance for how it will maintain documentation showing that its purchases of foreign-sourced food items meet one of the two allowable exceptions.
60-Day Agency Response
Submission e-mailed to Katrina Solorio.
- Estimated Completion Date: 1/27/2018
- Response Date: September 2017
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Stockton indicated in its emailed response that it is in the process of establishing written policies and procedures related to the Buy American requirement. It provided evidence that recent food solicitations included a certification sheet that vendors used to certify that the products they provided to Stockton were compliant with the Buy American requirement.
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.