To ensure that their schools' safety plans comply with state law and are submitted and approved on or before March 1 each year, the Kern, Placer, and San Bernardino county offices, and San Bernardino City Unified should implement procedures to monitor and approve their schools' safety plans. The procedures should include the use of electronic document-tracking systems and safety plan templates.
Following is a summarized project plan to meet recommendation #11 from the State Audit Report
- Communicate recommendation progress to the CSAO within 60, 180, and 365 days from August 31, 2017. Annual communication will then occur over the next five years.
- Redevelop the Safe School Plan electronic template to fulfill the unique needs of PCOE schools', students, parents, and staff, while meeting state requirements. School site plans will be identified by the County-District-School (CDS) identification numbering system (Sept. - Nov. 2017).
- Assemble all required policies and information inside the Safe School Plan template in order to provide a readily available public document. Some components of these plans will remain as confidential when they provide tactical details (Sept. 2017 - Feb. 2018).
- Require each school as identified by CDS code to analyze and update its Safe School Plan annually through a School Site Council/Safety Committee and certify to the County Superintendent's office the fulfillment of the requirements (Dec. 2017 - Feb. 2018).
- Develop written safety procedures to accommodate students and persons with disabilities based on current tactical practice (Sept. 2017 - Feb. 2018).
- Continue to practice and train students and staff on emergency procedures, including violent threat procedures utilizing federal and state resources, as well as current crisis response plans (Sept. 2017 - June 2018).
Documents showing current progress will be shared with the CSAO through the requested communication channel.
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.