Report 2016-131 Recommendation 10 Responses
Report 2016-131: California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation: It Must Increase Its Efforts to Prevent and Respond to Inmate Suicides (Release Date: August 2017)
Recommendation #10 To: Corrections and Rehabilitation, Department of
To address the unique circumstances that may increase its female inmates' rates of suicide and suicide attempts, Corrections should Implement its planned same-sex domestic violence curriculum by December 2017.
60-Day Agency Response
1. The Statewide Mental Health Program is working on a contract to provide a same sex domestic violence program to MHSDS inmates. The vendor will provide a specialized curriculum and training for clinicians, who will lead the groups.
2. The Female Offenders Programs and Services held a Gender Responsive Workgroup meeting on August 30 and 31, 2017 to discuss specific needs of female offenders. Suicide prevention was among the topics discussed, and follow-up workgroups will be scheduled to further address the complex issues underlying self-harming behavior in female inmates.
3. The California Institute for Women (CIW) and the Central California Women's Facility (CCWF) are working with outside resources and community resource managers to bring in domestic violence prevention and awareness programs.
4. The California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation has developed a partnership plan that includes daily huddles, executive leadership rounding, and quarterly round table meetings between custody and mental health staff. This plan will be implemented at CIW and CCWF in October 2017.
See attached domestic violence program summaries and Partnership narrative plan. A copy of the training curriculum will be provided once complete.
- Estimated Completion Date: March 2018
- Response Date: October 2017
California State Auditor's Assessment of 60-Day Status: Pending
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.