To improve its oversight training, by June 2015 CalTech should continue to implement a consistent and repeatable training plan for IPO analysts, which includes contract management, project assessment, IT systems engineering, and maintaining independence.
The new onboarding process training has been developed. IT Projects Quarterly Training Plan will be updated to cover areas identified by the California State Auditor (CSA). Estimated completion date is June 2018.
In conjunction with CSA'a advice, the ITPOD's plan for implementation includes:
- Develop training priorities for new staff and for continuing staff-in process.
- Identify existing training courses that can be leverage-in process.
- Develop customized content for any additional training course that are needed.
- Finalize curriculum and schedule.
- Seek additional funding, if needed.
As of April 2016, ITPOD will began using a new employee onboarding checklist which will ensure every new IPO manager is provided with the information to perform their work functions and which will be used to plan for the training they will need. (See attachment)
The information CalTech provided does not address how IPO analysts will be trained on an ongoing basis, such as the extent of and timing of required ongoing training and continuing education.
Workload and vacancies have impeded progress on the development of this plan. Additional time will be needed to complete it.
Plan for Implementation:
- Develop training priorities for new staff and for continuing staff - in process
- Identify existing training courses that can be leveraged - in process
- Develop customized content for any additional training courses that are needed - not started
- Finalize curriculum and schedule - not started
- Seek additional funding if needed - not started
Agency responses received are posted verbatim.